Monday, October 5, 2009

St. George Marathon!!!

Getting ready to get on the buses!

Josh took some pictures of this helicopter while we were running.

The boys waited for us at the 2 mile mark. I was so happy!
Josh followed me on his longboard and took pictures of me!



The last mile was so long! I just wanted to finish!
Josh and I watched for Ray to come in and cheered for her!



So glad to be finished!

They gave everyone who finished a metal, so special!


Love my honey!

Well it finally came! The St. George Marathon was last Saturday October 3rd. We drove up to Parowan the evening before, went to dinner in Cedar, and didn't get to bed until 11:30 or so. I had a hard time trying to sleep until the alarm clock went off at 2:30 am! We got ready and drove to St. George to get our race packets and load the buses. It was pretty cold that morning, especially up at the starting line! But they had hot chocolate and bonfires to stand around which helped. Rachael and I just went off at a comfortable pace and took advantage of the down hill sections, just trying to stay as smooth as we could. I had to stop for the potty around 7 times during the race, which for me isn't too bad I guess. I just wish I didn't have to so much because it really slows me down. Rachael and I tried to stay together as long as possible. We separated about the 8 or 9 mile mark. I felt pretty good until I hit the 18 mile mark! Thats when my body started killing me, my back, my knees, my feet! Ouch! It was tough for a while, but when I hit the 23 mile mark I was ready to finish! I picked up my pace a little and just went for it! It was a great feeling! The scenery was beautiful, and it was the perfect marathon running weather, it never got too hot. I absolutely loved this experience. My training was difficult, and I had a few set-backs along they way that really effected my training, but I feel really good about my first marathon and I am excited to do many more. I think this will need to be an annual tradition along with the Moab Half. I just have to thank Josh for being such a great support and cheerleader for me, and for taking all the pictures! Rachael and I will be writing more about our marathon experience on Metree and we will be spotlighted on CraziBeautiful later this month! So check it out!

4 comments:

Southern Belle said...

That stinks you have to stop and potty so much! Maybe you should wear a depends next time, haha jk... I actually have heard of people doing that though... Good job on finishing the marathon! I can't believe you had to get up at 2:30 am- that sounds horrible!

Tara said...

You guys are so awesome! I sure do miss you. We should do something soon. I wish I could be a runner like you guys!! You inspire me.

Unknown said...

Congrats! That's awesome, not to sound like a copycat but you inspire me too!

Julia said...

Great job! You guys look great. I am so proud. Hopefully I get into shape one of these days...I really want to do Moab with you in the Spring.