Thursday, October 9, 2008

Money Saving Ideas

Since we are in this economic crisis for who knows how long, I thought I would share some simple money saving ideas. A lot of these ideas I got from watching Oprah. (Ha ha). But it is some good advice.

1. Plan ahead... on meals, and other supplies.
2. Unplug appliances when not is use. Even though the power isn't on, when the item is plugged in it still uses some energy. This woman on the show became obsessed with unplugging stuff and her energy bill went from $260/month to $80/month!
3. Pack lunches
4. Cook more meals
5. Swap with friends. This is great because we are going to do that this Christmas at our party! Two friends on the show swapped living room sets.
6. Carpool/ take bus. I find this one to be very difficult. Do you agree?
7. Never pay full price for anything! Search for sales! I am really good at this one!
8. Look for free stuff online, some restaurants have free meals for kids.
9. Use library resources more.
10. Stock up on meat and other food when it's on sale.
11. Use store sales and coupons, try to use them together! couponmom.com
12. Pay attention to your spending! Needs over wants.

If anyone has more ideas we can add them to this list!

3 comments:

wclose said...

Andree,
I would love more tips like the plugs and stuff like that and I know that you are great at finding sales I definitly need to have you go shopping with me

Julia said...

Great ideas. You gotta live Oprah. I'll have to try that appliance unplugging thing. Who knew?

Kellie said...

Really great ideas. I've got one. This applies literally to the actual act of saving money. In taking my personal finance class one of the most important things they stress is the idea of "paying yourself first." Meaning, right when you get paid, set aside the amount you want to save that month somewhere you can't touch it, instead of waiting till the end of the month to set money aside. This way, you automatically spend less cause you have less to work with...and you're adding much more to your savings than you normally would!